17/10/2018

Easy Savoury Breakfast Muffins


I have always been a bit of a non conformist, not by my actions necessarily, but by attitude! I don't like being told what to do so sometimes I do things backwards just to prove that I can- yes I was a difficult child... One of the things that I naturally don't like to conform to is meal times. I love Breakfast for Dinner and Dinner for Breakfast. I would happily sink my teeth into leftover pizza in the morning and eat scrambled eggs or a bowl of cereal for dinner. I'm not really one for granola or fruit in the morning but I don't ever really have the time to whip up eggs or pizza. So when I was very bored one evening waiting for washing to be done, I decided to whip up a batch of these savoury muffins. I was pleasantly surprised that these hit the spot for my weird morning pizza cravings but also are healthy in terms of kick-starting your metabolism for the day and getting in some nutrients. I was rather creative with the recipe so wanted to jot it down in order to share with any fellow backwards Breakfast lovers and to save it for future references.

So you will need

A tin of sweetcorn drained
300g wholemeal self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 finely sliced spring onion stems
1 large tsp siracha or hot sauce
salt and pepper
150g cheddar grated
175ml milk or alternative
1 egg
60g cooled melted butter
150g greek yogurt 

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius

In large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, yogurt, siracha. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Add the egg, butter and milk and mix until you have a thick sludge! Pour in your tin of sweetcorn, grated cheddar and spring onions. Mix until combined, adding a little more milk if required. 

Fill muffin cases on a baking tray (I spray a little non stick into each one so they pop out more easily). These do not rise hugely so I would recommend about 3/4 full. 

Bake for 20 mins until golden and a knife comes out clean. These should make about 14. I tend to have two each morning and then frozen you have two weeks of breakfasts! 

They are probably best hot out of the oven with a little sour cream if you are entertaining but work perfectly well cold too. They would also make a great snack for toddlers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment